[GRASS-user] Local Relief Model tool

Eric Goddard egoddard1010 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:50:32 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've created a grass python script that generates a local relief model
(LRM) from a high-resolution (such as from LIDAR) DEM based on Hesse, Ralf
(2010): LiDAR-derived Local Relief Models - a new tool for archaeological
prospection. Archaeological Prospection 17:67-72.

I've tested it on several data sets of mine and it seems to be working
fine, however my data is limited to prehistoric Native American mounds. If
anyone else has some data they can test the tool on and report on the
results it would be much appreciated. The tool can be downloaded from
https://github.com/egoddard/r.surf.lrm.

To install in a linux environment, I followed the instructions at
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python#Testing_and_installing_Python_extensions.
I haven't been able to find solid information on how users who don't
compile themselves can install an addon that isn't available via
g.extension. There is
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Scripts, but I'm not
sure how that applies to Windows users. Any advice in this area would be
much appreciated.

As a final note, I adapted this tool based on Rebecca Bennett's bash script
that was published in her dissertation. Thank you, Rebecca, for answering
all of my questions and for your efforts in trying to test it out :)

Eric