[GRASS-user] Shape file dbfs field name truncation leads to duplicate filed names on import

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 11:25:22 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM, jwd <jwd at surewest.net> wrote:
> I've been working at trying bring data from either shapefile or e00
> file into GRASS 6.4.3  However some of the layers simply do not
> import.  The trouble seems to be that some of the column names in the
> shape dbf violate naming limits and result duplicate column names
> which cause a failure.  E00 files (same data but different format) also
> result in a failure.  As far as I can tell, the cause is the same.  In
> some tables the process of importing the data results in duplicate
> field names due to truncation.  Switching to the SQLite driver did not
> help here.

Hmm, switching to the SQLite driver should help. Did you use
db.connect driver=sqlite database="$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite/"

or another command / other options. Note that you should use
$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET literally and not replace these
variables with their content.

What does db.connect -p say after switching to the SQLite dirver?
What are the error messages after switching to the SQLite dirver?

Markus M