[GRASS-user] best practices for managing locations

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 27 13:13:55 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:
> My method is to make each LOCATION = a coordinate reference system, then
> each MAPSET holds all layers for some project.

Yes, in my group we have a similar concept. The /grassdata/ directory
is on a shared network drive (NFS in our case).

In our projection based LOCATIONs, the MAPSET names are usually
- project names, or
- user surnames (= mapset owner, so they have their personal playground), or
- dataset name in case of larger datasets (MODIS or ECAD time series
with > 10,000 maps)

Works pretty well.

Added to
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Location_and_Mapsets#Best_practice_examples

> There are cases where I have data for a certain project in two CRS's
> so I'll have two MAPSET's with identical names in both LOCATIONs.
> Works for me...

Similar here.

Best
Markus