[GRASS-user] problem to install grass70 on ubuntu 12.04

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 27 09:52:44 PDT 2014

Hi Sergio,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Sergio Vignali
<vignalisergio30 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just tried to install grass70 on ubuntu 12.04 by these command
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:grass/grass-stable
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install grass70 grass70-gui
>
> the error says that there are damaged or blocked packages

To better understand, I have created a virtual machine with Ubuntu
12.04 and tried myself. In fact:

pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$ sudo apt-get install grass70 grass70-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 grass70 : Depends: grass70-core but it is not going to be installed
 grass70-gui : Depends: grass70-core but it is not going to be installed
pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$

So I tried harder:

pgis at pgis-ubuntu64-vm:~$ sudo apt-get install grass70 grass70-core grass70-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 grass70-core : Depends: libgdal1h (>= 1.8.0) but it is not installable
                Depends: libgeos-c1 (>= 3.4.2) but it is not going to
be installed
                Depends: libproj0 (>= 4.8.0-1) but it is not going to
be installed
                Recommends: gdal-bin but it is not going to be installed
                Recommends: proj-bin but it is not going to be installed
                Breaks: grass70 (< 7.0.0+0ubuntu3~)

Not sure what the next step is (I am more experienced with RPM based systems).

Likely it can be solved :-)

Markus