[GRASS-user] units used in r.stream.distance

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 16 12:09:09 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua at 3dtopo.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2014, at 9:20 AM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> what are the units used to calculate distance with r.stream.distance in geographic (latlon) locations?
>
> As far as I know, latlon locations use latlon for the unit of measurement as well.

No it depends on the respective command. Eg:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/v.distance.html#notes
"In lat-long locations v.distance gives distances (dist, from_along,
and to_along) not in degrees but in meters calculated as geodesic
distances on a sphere. "

Regarding r.stream.distance one would need to check the source code
(and then document it).

Markus