[GRASS-user] Virtual Mosaic import with r.external

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3DTOPO.com
Fri Dec 26 14:19:07 PST 2014

> On Dec 26, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
> I suppose that would apply to r.external.out as it seems to be related
> to the creation of GeoTIFF (see http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html).

Hi Markus,

Excellent, thank you for the tip!

Note I tried again using r.patch.many with a smaller batch last night (333 billion pixel mosiac) and it ran *much* better, but I think it is stuck now.

Here is a screen shot when it was cranking away:

<http://3DTOPO.com/r.patch.many.1.png>

The “Bytes Read” has been going up continuously for the r.patch processes, but the bytes written hasn’t changed in over 8 hours and appears stuck at 57%. I think I can use r.patch.many for the job but I will have to break it into smaller sub-mosiacs first.

<http://3DTOPO.com/r.patch.many.2.png>

If I understand importing a virtual mosaic correctly, I suspect using r.external with a virtual mosaic is the best way to accomplish the task at hand, but I welcome any advice!

Thanks again,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated