[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:270] Fwd: Developing a forest fragmentation index

Anusheema Chakraborty anusheema at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 09:39:41 PST 2014

Thanks for the response!

I was trying to use the shell script in GRASS 6. And I am working on a
Windows system. I'll use the updated version of the Shell script with GRASS
version 7, I suppose, and I would let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

On 27 December 2014 at 19:25, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Anusheema
>
> As I replied on your question on my blogpost, there are two versions of
> the script; one for GRASS 6  and one for GRASS 7. In both cases you need to
> install the script manually (I am planning to rewrite the script as a
> python script, but that will take some time).
>
> The script for GRASS 7 did indeed not work anymore for me due to syntax
> changes in some of the functions used. An updated version should be
> available on
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass7/raster/r.forestfrag.
> If you try out and it doesn't work, let me know (and if so, please indicate
> whether you are running this on Linux or Windows).
>
> Paulo
>

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM, anusheema <anusheema at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Dear list members,
>> >
>> > I am also interested in implementing Dr. Kurt Ritters forest
>> fragmentation
>> > model. I was, however, attempting this in R Statistical software,
>> although I
>> > am pretty new to both R and GRASS.
>>
>> Which GRASS version do you use?
>>
>> > While reading forums on this model, I came across this post. I see that
>> Mr.
>> > Maning Sambale and Mr. Stefan Sylla have developed an AddOn for GRASS:
>> > r.forestfrag (http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#r.forestfrag
>> ).
>> > But while trying to attempt this model on GRASS, it keeps showing an
>> error
>> > (AddOn not found).
>>
>> If you are using GRASS 6: the script has been written for GRASS 7. You
>> can install both 6 and 7 in parallel on the same computer. However, I
>> see a link to a GRASS 6 version of the script in the Wiki page.
>>
>> If you are using GRASS 7: The reason is that it has not been
>> implemented as Python script but as Shell script. To my knowledge
>> g.extention (the extension manager) is not capable to deal with shell
>> scripts.
>>
>> > If you could please share the script? I was trying to implement the
>> script
>> > mentioned in this post, but without much luck. In R, with the help of
>> this
>> > script, replicating Pf is easier, however, for Pff, implementing the
>> code in
>> > cardinal direction only, is more complex.
>>
>> You can simply download the script from here:
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass7/raster/r.forestfrag/r.forestfrag?format=txt
>> and put it into the search path in your GRASS session. Be sure to set
>> the "executable" flag.
>>
>> Please let us know how it goes.
>>
>> Markus

*Anusheema Chakraborty*
PhD Scholar
Department of Natural Resources
TERI University
10, Institutional Area, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi - 110070 (India)
Website: www.teriuniversity.ac.in