[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal for importing categorical ArcGIS binary rasters

manuel.martin manuel.martin at orleans.inra.fr
Wed Feb 12 08:05:22 PST 2014

Hi all,

I tried to import an ArcGIS binary raster (corine land cover for the
French territory) with three fields on each pixels (VALUE, COUNT and
CODE_06) using the *r.in.gdal* command. The import works just fine,
except that in the resulting raster, in GRASS, I only get one field,
which seems to be the VALUE field (and not the CODE_06 field, which I am
interested in, and which is a categorical field, although coded with
integers).

Is there a way to produce a resulting raster with all the fields of the
initial ArcGIS layer, or alternatively to choose one unique field? Also,
is there a limitation on categorical fields. For instance, what if
instead of integer corine land cover codes I have literal labels, i.e.
levels of my categorical field coded with strings?

Cheers, Manuel

--

INRA - InfoSol