[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal for importing categorical ArcGIS binary rasters

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 05:11:56 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I have data where GDAL does not identify the columns.
>
> Does GDAL find a raster attribute table?
>
>> One is
>> the only string there, and the other three are the red, green, blue (in the
>> range 0-1).
>
> ... which would need to be transformed to the range 0,255.
>
> Here it seems easier to edit the attribute table outside GRASS, then
> use r.category and r.colors.
>
>> For me it is clear what column I would like to transform to
>> label and to color rules but I'm not sure if GDAL has even a chance to
>> determine it somehow. So, some options to set this would be great.
>>
>> I can share the data, they are from a public source.

For these data, GDAL can not determine the usage of the "RED",
"GREEN", and "BLUE" fields, also not for the "FBFM13" field. IMHO, the
best we could do is add an option to dump the raster attribute table
in text format and let the user modify it such that it can be used
with r.category and/or r.colors. The GDAL function to dump a raster
attribute table dumps it in xml, and the documentation says itself
that this is barely readable, so we would need our own dump function.

Markus M