[GRASS-user] Delineation of Pfaffstetter basins

RichardCooper richtcooper at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 26 21:33:01 PST 2014

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an automated approach and/or more guidelines*
for delineating Pfafstetter basins with GRASS?

I'm using r.stream.order and r.stream.basins modules  (as described in
Jasiewicz & Metz (2011)), but uncertain as to the best approach to delineate
Pfafstetter basins.

Using r.stream.extract, I've output stream_rast, stream_vect and direction
layers.

Using r.stream.order, output a layer with Strahler's stream order

However, what is the best approach to output Pfafstetter basin topology
using r.stream.basins/r.reclass?

The challenge it seems is to generate data on tributary accumulations for
ordering of the Pfafstetter basins ... ?

Cheers,
Richard

*I've consulted
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R.stream.*

Jasiewicz J, Metz M (2011) A new GRASS GIS toolkit for Hortonian analysis of
drainage networks. Computers & Geosciences 37 (2011) 1162–1173,
doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2011.03.003

r.stream.order/basins/order module guidelines