[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii with stdin in GRASS70

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jan 7 10:58:41 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Johannes Radinger
<johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a short question: I wanted to use v.in.ascii with the stdin in GRASS70
> to create a vector point with a simple single command from a coordinate pair
> like
>
> v.in.ascii -n stdin="512080,531630" output=my_point separator=","
>
> I can't remember excactly but I think that command was working (with fs
> instead of separator) in G65. Now I get the error: <stdin> is not a valid parameter.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Try this :-)

v.in.ascii help
Parameters:
      input   Name of input file to be imported
               '-' for standard input
     output   Name for output vector map

Hence:

echo "512080,531630" | v.in.ascii -n input=- output=my_point separator=","

For also attribute transfer, see
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/v.in.ascii.html
--> Example 3 - point format mode

Best