[GRASS-user] Creating spatially clumped random cells

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:17:50 PST 2014

Hi Markus,

so far as I understood r.random.cell creates spatially most disaggregated
cells (based on the distance parameter). So instead of clumping them this
module does the opposite.

However, I am just trying another solution which might be promising: With
r.random.surface
it is possible to generate a spatially dependent surface (like a landscape
with mountains and valleys). Then I can use r.quantile to get the
lowest/highest e.g 20% of all values and consequently I can use r.mapcalc
to reclassify all values smaller than the threshold value I yielded from
r.quantile. First trials yielded good results although the 20% threshold
did not exactly translate into 20% of all cells. I've to investigate a
little bit more into that. Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
Johannes