[GRASS-user] Mileage

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 20:00:02 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 15/01/14 10:30, Frank Broniewski wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for a tool / workflow on how I can create mileage points
>> basing on a track. I hope that's the right vocabulary here, but I'll
>> describe what I want anyway ;-)
>>
>> I have a bicycle track and I want to get the points after a specified
>> (cumulated) distance - say you start at (an artificial) 0 starting
>> point and now I want a point on the track every 1000m or so. So you'll
>> get a point after 1000m, 2000m, 3000m and so on just until the track
>> ends.
>>
>> Is there a tool with which I can achieve what I want? Or do I have to
>> dive into the Python interface to do this programatically?
>>

> What you are speaking about is called a "Linear Reference System", and
> GRASS has the v.lrs.* suite of tools to deal with that.
>
> Check this tutorial to begin: http://grass.osgeo.org/
> grass64/manuals/lrs.html
>
> Unfortunately, none of the See also external links in

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/lrs.html

manual page is working:

*R. Blazek, 2004, Introducing the Linear Reference System in GRASS
<http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/viewpaper.php?id=50>, Bangkok,
GRASS User Conf. Proc.*
*R. Blazek, 2005, Introducing the Linear Reference System in GRASS
<http://www.j-geoinfo.net/Content/fulmar05/IJG_095-100.pdf>, International
Journal of Geoinformatics, Vol. 1(3), pp. 95-100*

Does anybody have a better links, (share-able) PDFs or something similar?
I'm not sure what is our best practice in these things.

Vaclav

 Moritz