[GRASS-user] r.cva & r.prominence binaries for Windows 64

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 21 07:43:05 PST 2014

Hi Dario,

On 21/01/14 16:08, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 21/01/14 15:56, Dario Guiducci wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to compile an add-on module to my installation of GRASS
>> 6.4.3, specifically the r.cva and r.prominence modules developed by Mark
>> Lake and Benjamin Ducke.
>>
>> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~tcrnmar/downloads/AdvancedViewshedAnalysis.tar.gz

You can use both modules through the SEXTANTE/GRASS interface
in gvSIG OADE 2010:

http://www.oadigital.net/software/gvsigoade

For instructions, see the PDF manual that will be copied
to your computer as part of the installation process.

Note that gvSIG OADE 2010 is now unmaintained. There is
a successor called gvSIG CE (www.gvsigce.org), which
will release a stable version in a few weeks (inshallah).
It will also include r.cva and r.prominence. But if you
need them right now, use OADE 2010. It works fine.

>> Hoping that I can compile these modules myself, I've ran into a number
>> of problems trying to compile OSgeo4w64 on my system. I'm guessing it
>> has something to do with the 64bit processor, but I'm also not too
>> experienced with compiling open source software for this to be easy in
>> the first place.

Both modules have not seen updates for a while, so I am not sure
that they will compile on GRASS 6.4.3 at all at this moment.

Unfortunately, OSgeo4w64 includes some MS Visual C/C++ projects
and some MSVC runtimes/DLLs, whereas the GRASS binaries that ship
with gvSIG use only open source MinGW DLLs, so I don't think you
can just copy the GRASS modules over (but it's worth a try).

>> I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to compile the above
>> modules, and produce a working binary that I could implement into GRASS
>> here on my Windows 64-bit system. Or at the very least, point me in the
>> right direction for how to go about this myself.
>
> You should probably try r.viewshed, for which windows binaries are
> pre-compiled [1] and should be installable with g.extension. See also [2].

I would say the same: Try if r.viewshed suits your needs first.
It's much more efficient than r.cva (though not as flexible and
convenient for cumulative analyses).

Alternatively, if you opt for gvSIG: Look in the SEXTANTE group
"Visibility & Lighting". There are many other options in there.

Best,

Ben