[GRASS-user] add a centroid in the center of polygon

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jan 27 00:38:25 PST 2014

On 25/01/14 12:52, Markus Metz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Markus Metz
>> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> v.centerpoint from addons [0] does that.
>>>
>>> Markus M
>>>
>>> [0] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns/GRASS7/vector#v.centerpoint
>>
>> Right, I forgot about this nice addon!
>> Perhaps its functionality might be merged into v.centroids [1]?
>
> No, because the center of mass is not always within the area.

But couldn't that be a documented flag (e.g. something like this:
'always place centroid within the area (for GRASS polygon)').

Personally, I support MarkusN's idea of merging the two, if that's
possible from the code point of view. I find it more intuitive to look
for a module creating centroids...

Moritz