[GRASS-user] Transforming raster lines to vectors with correct segment attributes

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 02:27:31 PST 2014

Hi,

I have a raster river (processed with r.thin) which I want to transfrom to
a vector.
Therefore I use r.to.vect with the lines option. However, the raster has
two different
values representing e.g. habitat quality (good/bad) for single segments
(group of raster cells). This information is written strangely to the
vector attribute table as the lines
are not broken at changes of habitat quality which is a reasonable
behaviour of r.to.vect.

As I need the attributes in my vector table I thought about splitting the
vector into
small segments (<raster resolution) and updating the attribute table with
v.what.rast. However when I use v.split the attribute table of the created
map still has the same number of entries than before. So what do I miss
here to get single rows and thus categories for the single created lines
from v.split?

Or is there any other/better way for such transformation of raster lines to
vector lines incl. an update of the attribute table?

Best regards,

Johannes