[GRASS-user] r.sun for multiple days

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Tue Jul 8 14:27:43 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm preparing some maps for use in a MAXENT ecological niche modelling
analysis. We're going to use solar radiation as one of the predictors,
so will be using the GRASS r.sun command to generate our input rasters.

r.sun provides the solar radiation for a single day of the year. My
question is, what's the best way to get a summary for the entire year? A
simple solution would be to run it for every day, then sum or average
the values. That seems likely to be very processor intensive, and I
assume the result would be very similar to using every other day, or
every third day. Is there a standard procedure for doing this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
  Tyler Smith