[GRASS-user] Grouping spatial points

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:11:56 PDT 2014

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Johannes Radinger
<johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've a point vector containing more than 500 points.
> Some of these points are spatially clumped while
> others are single independent points (from viewing the
> map). Now I am wondering if there is any tool in
> GRASS (or maybe other spatial-statistical software
> like R) that can be used to group the data so that each
> point clump is assigned to a group and each single group to its
> own group. Of course, this needs a criterion where
> to distinguish between groups/clusters. I'd like to have
> groups that are separated by a distance of at least 5 km.
>
> Is there any recommendation of a simple or more
> advanced procedure to do that?

I play a bit with some machine learning algorithm, the code is:

https://gist.github.com/zarch/f849df450d622f9eadee

you can see the results apply to the vector map "points_of_interest"
present in the North Carolina mapset, here:

https://plus.google.com/115946523992149326262/posts/2R9HfQh6UvQ

cheers

Pietro