[GRASS-user] Importing Mapinfo files with encoding "cp1253'

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jun 12 08:12:34 PDT 2014

I got some Mapinfo vector data with Greek characters in both the
attribute column names and the attribute row strings. Initially, both in
GRASS and QGIS the characters appear messy. I verified, inside QGIS,
that the encoding in question is "cp1253" [0]. Passing this while
importing the data in GRASS, like

v.in.ogr dsn=Roads.TAB out=roads encoding=cp1253 --o

does not work though (using ogrinfo --version, GDAL 1.10.1, released
2013/08/26).  Is there a proper encoding instruction to pass to
v.in.ogr, other than "cp1253"? I want to avoid solving this externally.

Nikos

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1253