[GRASS-user] Question about v.to.rast

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 04:47:44 PDT 2014

All:

I have used r.lake to simulate flood inundation in an urban area -- the
raster looks great! What I want to do (and have done) is to use r.to.vect,
export the vector as a KML (which works), bring the simulated flood
inundation map KMLs into GoogleEarth and create some animations from the
simulated inundation, including showing rising flood levels inundating the
city streets in 3D.

I can basically do all this, except that the r.to.vect conversion creates a
gazillion boxes that are the size of the raster pixels -- I don't want all
the tiny boxes. What I want, is just a single (albeit, complex) polygon
showing the flooded areas. v.dissolve will remove the boundaries of
adjacent boxes if their cat or attributes are the same -- is this the way
to go, namely, make all the cats or attribute values the same and then use
v.dissolve?

Or, is there is there a better way to do what I'm attempting to do? That
is, is it best to keep the individual small vector boxes for reasons I'm
not considering?

Thank you,
Tom