[GRASS-user] ps.map grids

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 21:25:52 PDT 2014

Tyler wrote:

> I'm trying to make a ps make, which I'll then tweak in Inkscape. The
> basic map looks almost correct, but the geogrid labels are placed
> slightly off the page. Is there a way to instruct GRASS to move the
> labels inwards so they are readable?
>
> The map is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carex/13433924714/

Hi,

it falls off the screen in map projections where the angle between grid
north and true north becomes large. This was recently fixed for d.grid's
version of geo-grids, but it seems ps.map still needs similar treatment.

For now your best bet is to open the resulting .ps file in your favourite
industrial strength text editor and search near the end of the file for
the line with the "ZB (50N) PB" text. The line after it starts with two
numbers. These are points (1/72") from the left side of the paper.
Changing the number by 10 will move it the same distance on the page as
the size of a 10 pt font. So try reducing the first number (x coord)
by about 10 and check the results. For the 80W on the bottom you'll have
to change the second number of course.

Hamish