[GRASS-user] v.extrude in Grass 6.4.3

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Mar 29 13:11:59 PDT 2014

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Paul Shapley <p.shapley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the 'v.extrude' module often but cannot understand why the resulting
> 3D geometries criss-cross on the tops and sometimes the sides of the
> extrusions.

Are the data really like that (could you extract just a single
building to check?) or is it NVIZ which behaves like that (which I
also see in my 3D data)?

> I have tried v.clean in the vector layer but this makes no
> difference. I have attached an image so that it can be seen. I have tried to
> use the alternative v.to.3d but this does not complete. Can anyone advise
> best a use practice.

To be sure where the problem is, please export them to VTK and then
visualize in Paraview (there is a Wiki page explaining that). If
Paraview shows the same, then v.extrude may have a problem while
otherwise it may be NVIZ.

Best
Markus