[GRASS-user] loading points from python shell

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:19:06 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Arighna <roy.arighna at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am fetching points from URL in a python script as a dictionary and
> creating json file from it. Then loading points in GRASS map from the file.
>
> Can we load points in a vector map directly from python scripts; as we
> have a python shell in GRASS.

You would use v.in.ascii, if you have them in a file in csv format like
x,y,attr1,attr2,... and you can choose separator:

import grass.script.core as gcore

gcore.run_command('v.in.ascii', input='path/to/file', output='mymap', x=1,
y=2, separator=',')

or if you have them as string:

gcore.write_command('v.in.ascii', input='-', stdin=points_string,
output='mymap', x=1, y=2, separator)

there are other parameters, you can also upload attributes this way by
specifying columns, more in the manual page:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/v.in.ascii.html

I am not sure if you run the Python script from GRASS (that's the usual,
simple case), if not there is a way to run it outside of GRASS session but
it's more complicated, see
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_GRASS_without_starting_it_explicitly

Anna