[GRASS-user] Categories in new layers of vector maps

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 01:18:17 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am slightly confused about creating new layers for vector maps and adding
a category value.
I want to add a layer and subsequently I want to use v.what.rast to query a
raster map and update
that layer. Hence, I need categories in the new layer. However, it seems
that adding a new table and connect it to a specific layer (v.db.addtable)
does not create/update the category column (in GRASS 71, trunk):

Here an example for the NC-dataset:

v.db.addtable map=firestations at PERMANENT layer=2

DB settings already defined, nothing to do
Reading features...
Updating database...
0 categories read from vector map (layer 2)
0 records updated/inserted (layer 2)

And when I try to manually update the category I am also not successful:
v.to.db map=firestations at PERMANENT layer=2 option=cat columns=cat

Reading features...
Updating database...
0 categories read from vector map (layer 2)
0 records updated/inserted (layer 2)

Maybe I just got something wrong?

The map "firestations at PERMANENT" has categories (stored in layer 1)
v.category input=firestations at PERMANENT option=report

Layer/table: 1/firestations
type       count        min        max
point         71          1         71
line           0          0          0
boundary       0          0          0
centroid       0          0          0
area           0          0          0
face           0          0          0
kernel         0          0          0
all           71          1         71
v.category complete. 0 features modified.

Any suggestions?

best,
Johannes