[GRASS-user] detecting olive trees from satellite imagery

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 29 08:42:30 PDT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Margherita Di Leo wrote:

> Thank you very much for your hint. I should have mentioned that I made
> tentatives also in this direction. Unfortunately, so far this approach
> didn't allow me to tell olive trees from other vegetation types.

Margherita,

   As I wrote, it's been a very long time since I calculated NDVIs to
classify vegetation types from remotely sensed imagery. However, I vaguely
recall being able to pick bands (satellite imagery) or RGB colors (aerial
photographic imagery) so as to distinguish the vegetation of interest.

   Are there other factors (nominal such as season or province; ratio such as
aspect, size, or elevation) that can be used as a mask to reduce the
vegetational clutter?

Rich