[GRASS-user] Stopping/killing a "puased" command

Stefan Lüdtke sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Oct 30 01:19:31 PDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

can you pipe the MarZone output into a tmp file, check that file in
regular intervals for the desired string and stop the process if the
string is found. Not the most beautiful way I can think of but maybe
an option ..

Cheers,

Stefan

On 10/30/2014 09:06 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to combine a commandline tool (MarZone) with GRASS in a
>  shell script (MSYS in OSGeo4W or Ubuntu).
>
> The MarZone command should run in a loop where it recives new input
>  from GRASS in each iteration.
>
> My scripts works in principle, however, unlike other command line
> tools, MarZone does not end when it is done, but  one has to press
>  enter to stop.
>
> It ends with "Press return to exit." on screen.
>
> In order to handle this in a loop, I simply kill the process after
>  the time I expect the sofware to run (plus a little time buffer):
>
> Like this:
>
> perl -e 'alarm shift @ARGV; exec @ARGV' 60 ./MarZone_x64.exe
>

> Unfortunately, this is neither an effient nor a stable solution as
>  the time the software runs can vary quite a bit, depending on some
>  parameter settings.
>

> My question is, is there a way to somehow catch, that the software
> is ready (when it prints "Press return to exit."), an kill it
> then?
>
> Any idea?
>

> Thanks for helping,
>
> Stefan

- --
Stefan Lüdtke

Section 5.4-  Hydrology
Tel.: +49 331 288 2821
Fax: +49 331 288 1570
Email: sluedtke at gfz-potsdam.de

Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ
(GFZ German Research Centre for Geoscience)
Stiftung des öff. Rechts Land Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam

PGP Public Key: http://bit.ly/13d9Sca