[GRASS-user] How to add volexes to a map showing what a camera can see

Scott Pickett bbbvvgtm at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 11:58:27 PDT 2014

Can GRASS do the following analysis for me?  We have 6 cameras, each
with a 45 degree view angle.  They are placed on various peaks in a 1 km X 4 km area.  I want to display a map of the area showing the 6 cameras and what part of the terrain each can see.  If it's view blocked by
intervening terrain, it will not be able to see ground level at that
location.  In those cases, I'd like it to show the minimum altitude it
can see.  I would like to highlight all areas that can be seen up to a
height of 1500 feet as a set of voxels and display this volume above the base terrain map.

I would like to be able to do all of this programatically so I can fully control the
 process.  I want the user to be able to visualize this in some reasonable way.

 know this is a big question, but does anyone know if GRASS can do some
or all of this and what modules I should be looking at, it would be a
big help.

Thanks in advance.