[GRASS-user] extract wind steams from raster

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:00:06 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM, teeschke <daniel.teske at web.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am totally excitedabout the vector visualizations of Wind Map* and Earth
> Wind**. So I'm now trying to extract this kind of vector from
> meteorological
> grib files, which has set the wind parameters angle and speed per cell.
>
> Hi, I was also excited.

> I tried to work with r.to.vect, but this seems to be not the best starting
> point, because the stream vectors must be calculated before. Right? Could
> you please give me any hints to extract some kind of wind stream vectors?
>
> So, I have created:

https://github.com/ncsu-osgeorel/comet-like-visualization

the result can be seen here:

http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/foss4g-2014-spatio-temporal-visualization.html

Let me know what do you think. There is not much documentation but it
should be pretty clear, although it is quite sensitive to sizes, so you
must be careful in setting region right.

Vaclav

Thank you very much and best regards,