[GRASS-user] r.external across Windows and Linux

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Apr 19 14:51:12 PDT 2015

Hi Glynn,

Thanks for your reply. Here is a more detailed problem description:

First I created a new and empty GRASS Location "test" on the network storage (NFS) from the Linux Server. This GRASS DB is mounted on LINUX (through mount.cifs) to `/home/stefan/R_raw_data/test'. On Windows the "Network  drive" is mapped to " R:\Raw_data\test "

Within this Location I crated a mapset "linux" (from the Linux Server) and a mapset "windows"  from my Windows 7 workstation.

1st test case: Linux to Windows:
On the Linux  server, and in the "linux" mapset I did:

r.external.out --verbose directory="/home/stefan/R_raw_data/test" extension=".tif" format="GTiff"
g.region -p n=1 s=0 e=1 w=0 res=0.1
r.mapcalc expression="linux_map=1"

On my Win 7 box I did:

d.rast map= linux_map @linux
Here I got the following error message:

Command 'd.rast map=linux_map at linux' failed
Details: ERROR 4: `/home/stefan/R_raw_data/test/linux_map.tif' does not exist in the file system, and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Then I tried relative paths:
On Linux:
r.external.out --verbose directory="../../" extension=".tif" format="GTiff"
r.mapcalc expression="linux_map=1" --o

Error message on Windows changes to:
Command 'd.rast map=linux_map at linux' failed
Details: ERROR 4: `/home/stefan/R_raw_data/test/newLocation/linux/../..//linux_map.tif' does not exist in the file system, and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

2nd test case: Windows to Linux:
On my Windows box (and in the "windows" mapset) I did:
r.external.out --verbose directory="R:\Raw_data\test" extension=".tif" format="GTiff"
r.mapcalc expression=windows_map=1

Which results in the following error message:
ERROR: Unable to make mapset element R:\Raw_data\test (R:\Raw_data\test/newLocation/windows/R:\Raw_data\test): No such file or directory

Then I tried relative paths:
r.external.out --verbose directory="../../" extension=.tif format=GTiff

The relative paths work for the Windows side. However, back on Linux I tried:
d.rast map=windows_map at windows and got the following error message:

Command 'd.rast map=windows_map at windows' failed
Details: ERROR 4: `R:\Raw_data\test/newLocation/windows/../..//windows_map.tif' does not exist in the file system, and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Thanks for looking into this.
Should I open a ticket in trac?

Kind regards,
Stefan