[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii with undefined columns?

patrick s. patrick_gis at gmx.net
Thu Aug 6 01:04:47 PDT 2015

Dear all

I want to import multiple csv-files with coordinates (points) that come
from Excel/SPSS, having first row as header. These have undefined labels
of columns that need to be available in grass and that might change in
future. Running grass on dbf-backend, I used to create shapefiles in R
and import these with v.in.ogr. However, this does not seem to be
appropriate, when running grass on sqlite (abbreviation of columnnames).
There seem to be different solutions, but I am what is the recommended
approach. Hopefully you can give me a hint.

Thanks,
Patrick

##Current ideas:
/#Version 0/
create shapefile in R
(http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/30785/how-to-stop-writeogr-from-abbreviating-field-names-when-using-esri-shapefile-d)
import shapefile with v.in.ogr

/#Version1/
query csv and create file "coldef" with Column definition in SQL style
(in shell or R?)
import in grass with v.in.ascii format=point skip=1 columns=coldef

/#Version2/
create sqlite-file in R/OGR with SPATIALITE-extension (see
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2014-July/021313.html)
import in grass with v.in.ogr (this post mentions problems
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/1733/how-to-import-spatialite-data-into-grass)