[GRASS-user] GRASS 7 shell environment variables and prompt settings

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 9 13:11:54 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM, César Augusto Ramírez Franco
<caesarivs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Martin

>> > export GRASS_PAGER=more
>>
>> try to put this line to
>>
>> .grass7/bashrc
>

> This worked for the shell environmental variables, thanks a lot
>

> However, as stated in my first mail, I'd like to customize my Grass prompt
> to add colors and a newline before the '>', how can this be achieved? I
> tried adding a PS1 definition inside the bashrc file but it didn't work

It needs to be added
$HOME/.grass7/bashrc

see
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/variables.html#setting-shell-environment-variables

but indeed, also for me it fails.

I see that
userhome, ".grass.bashrc"

is still in place:

[neteler at oboe init]$ grep bashrc *
grass.py:        grass_env_file = os.path.join(grass_config_dir, 'bashrc')
grass.py:        grass_env_file = os.path.join(grass_config_dir, 'bashrc')
grass.py:    # instead of changing $HOME, start bash with: --rcfile
"$LOCATION/.bashrc" ?
grass.py:    #   if so, must care be taken to explicity call
.grass.bashrc et al for
grass.py:    home = location                   # save .bashrc in $LOCATION
grass.py:    bashrc = os.path.join(home, ".bashrc")
grass.py:    try_remove(bashrc)
grass.py:    f = open(bashrc, 'w')
grass.py:    for env_file in [os.path.join(userhome, ".grass.bashrc"),

.... a leftover?

Markus