[GRASS-user] New to GIS

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Dec 29 01:26:00 PST 2015

Jamie Le Rossignol:

> Hi all,

Hi Jamie!

> I'm wanting to use the GRASS GIS for a planetary mapping project and I want
> to import my own data.

Welcome and Best of Success!

> However, it appears the tutorials I've being
> watching have assumed knowledge. I do not have a background in GIS.
> I'd like to use custom raster & vector maps on a map server, but I'm unsure
> of where to start?

You can start here: <https://grass.osgeo.org/documentation/first-time-users/>.

In my opinion, however, you could/should start right away using QGIS
(see
<http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/en/docs/user_manual/grass_integration/grass_integration.html>).
And through it you can make use of GRASS' super(-analytical)-powers.

There are a few concepts to learn before playing freely with GRASS.  It
might be easier to learn them through QGIS.

Kind regards, Nikos