[GRASS-user] GRASS 7 d.vect.thematic, how to automatically generate breaks and assign colors and make a psmap legend?

James Powell powellj at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:38:36 PST 2015

In the upgrade from GRASS 6.4.2 to GRASS 7, d.vect.thematic seems to
have changed significantly.  This is my tool of choice for making a
legend for vector layers.  For example, given a street map of lines
called streetswm, and a column dacount indicating vehicles counted on
a given segment, and with a monitor open, the simplest but still very
useful d.vect.thematic command is:

d.vect.thematic map=streetswm at PERMANENT type=line column=dacount \
  themetype=graduated_colors themecalc=interval nint=8 \
  colorscheme=blue-red psmap=testthem2

In 6.4.2, that outputs both the legend and a nice thematic map using
psmap syntax.  Will you please advise me on the equivalent process for
GRASS 7?  I have looked in the 7.0.0RC-News and in the code for
d.vect.thematic itself but for example the keyword "graduated" or
"theme" appears nowhere in either.

To be clear, I am looking for two separate features:

1. To automatically generate breaks and assign colors to them.  I just
   say "gimme 8 intervals in the blue-red" and I get out intelligence
   like "text 14% 54% 632.339 - 752.795 " (from
   testthem2\_legend.psmap).
2. To automatically generate psmap commands, especially for the legend,
   reflecting the breaks and colors automatically assigned in step 1.

I really appreciate your help.  I'm running GRASS GIS 7.0.0svn (r63888).

yours truly,
  James P.

--
James Powell