[GRASS-user] using USGS chunked TDDS orthoimagery

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Feb 16 07:45:48 PST 2015

>I've downloaded the chunked 0.25m resolution USGS orthoimagery (Ortho TDDS)
for a given quad; it >comes in 90 zipped folders. I've unzipped them all and
now I'm struggling to figure out an efficient way to >bring them into a
given location, ideally to mosaic the orthoimage tiles together, and then
export the 90 >tiles (or mosaic'd) raster to some commonly-used format such
as PNG.

what about using gdal?

see http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html

gdalbuildvrt: Builds a VRT from a list of datasets.

you can read the orthoimages by gdal without unzip, see:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/ReadInZip

then you can use gdal_translate (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html) to
translate the raster VRT into _one_ (big) orthoimage.

-----
best regards
Helmut