[GRASS-user] Question about r.watershed and flow accumulation grid

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:42:54 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Thomas Adams <tea3rd at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I need to use the D8 (SFD) algorithm is that I am generating a
> file that identifies how pixels are connected hydraulically; the distributed
> hydrologic model I am using requires that this connectivity be unique; so a
> pixel must be uniquely connected to a single downstream pixel. Consequently,
> with the GRASS scripting I have done to produce the needed ascii output file
> I need, I think I have to use the D8 SFD algorithm.

The connectivity (drainage output of r.watershed) is always unique, no
matter if you use D8 or MFD. In case of MFD, the predominant direction
is used.

As Micha said, r.watershed does not produce breaks in flow
accumulation, it stops only at the edge of the current region and at
NULL cells.

Modifying a DEM to match a river network can be dangerous, I would
recommend to not burn the whole river network into the DEM but modify
only those parts that really need modification. Usually you will never
get a perfect match between a river network created from different
sources and a stream network derived from a DEM.

Markus M