[GRASS-user] r.hydrodem and region

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 13:44:38 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> colleague of mine is having problem with r.hydrodem. He is running
> GRASS on 64bit Windows (note that we have still only 32bit installer):
>
> r.hydrodem --verbose input=dmt_zapad at petrus.david memory=3000

I think that memory=3000 MB can not work for a 32bit application,
32bit applications can use max 2GB memory. In this case it does not
matter if the OS is 64bit or if there is more than 2GB of memory
available.

> output=dmt_zapad_HD mod=4 size=4
> All sinks with max 4 cells to be modified will be removed
> All sinks not larger than 4 cells will be removed.
> 7.71 of data are kept in memory
> Will need up to 53515.69 MB of disk space
> Create temporary files...
> Current region rows: 53561, cols: 47588
> ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 8192 bytes of memory at
> lib/segment/setup.c:124
>
> It means region with more than 2.5e9 cells. Input data are
> floating-point. The message says than it's not possible to allocate
> 8kb in memory which is not really informative for the user. Is there
> any room to improving this message?

Apparently there is less than 8KB free memory left, everything else
has been used up previously by the same process and other processes.

r.hydrodem (and other modules with a memory option) could at the
beginning try to allocate the requested amount of memory, if that
fails, advise to reduce the memory option.

Markus M