[GRASS-user] Checking and fixing roads for network analysis

Mark Wynter mark at dimensionaledge.com
Thu Jan 15 13:40:07 PST 2015

Hi Daniel
When you ran v.clean, did you v.clean tool=break,rmdupl ?

I suspect you still may encounter a problem with road T junctions if the vectors don't cross or intersect.  Take this simple example of 2 roads - NS, and EW.  Each line has only 2 nodes - at the line’s  start and end points.
|The problem is when the horizontal line “undershoots” the vertical line.  The break command will have no effect, and snapping won’t make any difference because there is no midpoint node to which the horizontal line can attach itself to.

I’d be interested to hear how others have dealt with what is essentially a “data preparation” issue in GRASS?

[The solution I ended up implementing used a PostGIS SQL custom function to “break” overshoots and undershoots, with rules for correct treatment of bridges and tunnels. The function is fast, and can be run in parallel when working with continental-sized road networks.
After PostGIS, I import the “broken-up” network into GRASS and use v.clean to snap the nodes, but NOT break the lines - as my PostGIS function has already dealt with this.
The GRASS procedure involves running the v.clean in 5 steps, to avoid inadvertently snapping a tunnel node to say a bridge node, just because they are spatially close.
1) v.clean tool=snap # no bridges, no tunnels
2) v.clean tool=snap # bridges only
3) v.clean tool=snap # tunnels only
4) v.patch (steps 1-3)
5) v.clean tool=snap # on the patched layer, with a much smaller tolerance to that used in steps 1-3 to again avoid say tunnel nodes inadvertently snapping to bridge nodes.
We’re then good to go with v.net analysis.]

This may sound like a complicated process, but when using imperfect data to model complex road networks in dense urban areas, its important to get the vector topology as close as possible to the real world.  I’ve found this process generates a highly representative, routable vector topology from imperfect OSM data.

Your situation might be much simpler, which is not to say you won’t encounter anomalies like you’ve already identified.

Mark

Message: 1