[GRASS-user] raster attribute table problems

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 13:50:42 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When importing National Landcover Dataset
> > (http://www.mrlc.gov/nlcd2011.php), I would like to get the classes
> imported
> > as raster labels. Gdalinfo reports existing attribute table where one of
> the
> > columns is
> >
> >   <FieldDefn index="6">
> >     <Name>Land Cover Class</Name>
> >     <Type>2</Type>
> >     <Usage>0</Usage>
> >   </FieldDefn>
> >
> > r.in.gdal should be able to recognize it and use it as a label. The
> problem
> > is that the field Usage reports 0, which represents GFU_Generic (General
> > purpose field) instead of GFU_Name (Class name) and as a result r.in.gdal
> > doesn't take it into account. The attributes are supposed to be stored in
> > some vat.dbf file in the NLCD dataset (I was not able to open it on
> Ubuntu
> > with LibreOffice due to some encoding problems to see what's exactly
> there).
> > I don't understand how GDAL decides which column is generic or represents
> > class name and I don't know if the problem is on GDAL's side or on the
> side
> > of the data provider. Would it make sense to have an option in r.in.gdal
> > specify the name of the column which should be used for labels?
>
> You can use the table option of r.in.gdal to dump the raster attribute
> table in plain text, then modify the table such that it can be used as
> rules option for r.category.

Thanks, I didn't quite get what the option is doing. So, I was trying to
import the exported csv file as a standard vector attribute table with
db.in.ogr (which uses v.in.ogr), however, ogr refused it probably because
of the separator (pipe). Once I changed the separator to comma, it worked.
Shouldn't r.in.gdal output a csv file with common separator like comma? I
understand that you don't always need to import it as attribute table, but
anyway comma seems more reasonable to me.

Thanks,

Anna