[GRASS-user] SQLITE db locking problem

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:52:17 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Mark Wynter <mark at dimensionaledge.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I’m having issues with SQLITE as the db driver - I encounter this BUSY
>> warning.  Only occurs when patching a particular map, in this case
>> “temp_nbt_cleaned" which is the largest of the datasets being patched.  If I
>> work with smaller datasets, it works fine.  Pre-patching, SQLITE DB size is
>> only 170MB.
>>
>> I’ve come across various threads reporting something similar with db
>> locking.  But couldn’t find a resolution.
>> I’m running grass70 on Centos65, hosted on AWS..  SQLite is version 3.6.23.1
>
> I thought the official SQLite version for Centos65 (and Centos66) is
> 3.6.20. Could there be a conflict between the official version and
> your version 3.6.23.1?
>

>> This is the error message.
>>
>> GRASS 7.0.0svn (nodeclean):/var/tmp > v.patch -e
>> input=temp_t_cleaned,temp_b_cleaned,temp_nbt_cleaned out=temp_patched
>> Patching vector map <temp_t_cleaned>...
>> Patching vector map <temp_b_cleaned>...
>> Patching vector map <temp_nbt_cleaned>...
>> WARNING: Busy SQLITE db, already waiting for 10 seconds…
>> WARNING: Busy SQLITE db, already waiting for 20 seconds…
>> etc
>> etc
>
> I can not reproduce the problem on Fedora 20 with SQLite 3.8.7.4 and
> Scientific Linux 6.6 with SQLite 3.6.20. Are you using default db
> connection settings for SQLite or is the GRASS SQLite database in a
> non-standard location?

I was able to reproduce the problem with larger vector maps.
Apparently SQLite does not like to have the same database opened twice
(you can do multiple operations on the same database, but it is safer
to have the db opened only once).

Fixed in trunk r64277.

Markus M