[GRASS-user] DEM with bathymetric contour lines

Tomáš Brunclík brunclik at atlas.cz
Mon Jun 1 02:44:53 PDT 2015

Hi Irantzu,
I am just trying again with this dataset:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24062833/ES2003_1m_mb_contour.zip
It is cosiderably smaller than yours, with 1m resolution the region is
5676x4142 pixels, but running r.surf.contour for 15 minutes and still 0%
done. Hope it is able to finish before I have to leave, I have common
office PC. In any case I will let you know what was the result, you can
try with the same data for comparison.
Looking at the data, which are of some inland water body, I see the most
of the region area is covered by land, which is not covered by contours
(there are contours for elevation <= 0 only). Would see how the command
copes with that, this could possibly be source of your problems, should
your data also contain large areas not covered by the contours. It such
case a mask may help.
Regards,
Tomas

For the record, the commands I used:

#First created new location using the data as source of its projection
settings and imported the file (from startup GUI), then:

g.region vector=ES2003_1m_mb_contour at PERMANENT

g.region res=1

g.region -p
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       10
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      4079792.873656
south:      4074116.9543482
west:       608344.55566446
east:       612486.8266235
nsres:      0.99998578
ewres:      1.00006542
rows:       5676
cols:       4142
cells:      23509992

v.to.rast input=ES2003_1m_mb_contour at PERMANENT output=contours_rast
attribute_column=CONTOUR

r.surf.contour input=contours_rast output=dmt_rast