[GRASS-user] i.atcorr for GeoEye-1 and Worldview-3

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Jun 3 20:48:13 PDT 2015

* Kamhul Camhol <monk_purple at yahoo.com> [2015-06-04 02:27:58 +0000]:

> Dear Nikos,

Hi Kamhul,

> Thanks for the advice! The imagery are Ortho-Ready Standard 2A, already radiometrically and sensor-corrected

Likely the products are delivered in Digital Numbers (DN). These
DNs are indeed "radiometrically corrected image pixels". They are not,
however, radiance or reflectance.  You need to convert first the
quantized DNs to some physical quantity before doing any further
radiometric processing (that includes atmospheric "corrections" as far
as understand) or working with vegetation indices. Or comparing images.

I have collected my notes when working with high resolution imagery in
the Wiki [0, 1, 2].  There are links to very nice readings, i.e. [3].

> but not atmospherically and geometrically corrected.

Just two notes here: if the image is clear, one can work on without "correcting" for
atmospheric effects. If the image is capturing a flat-land, maybe
applying the accompanied RPCs (via gdal) is enough.

>Are they already in radiance or reflectance values?

Very unlikely.

> Sometimes, I am confused as radiometric correction appears to be interchanged or taken similarly with atmospheric correction.

Please go through some of the readings.  They offer the required
clarifications. It would be useful to retrieve relevant documentation
for WorldView 3.

> Anyway, of course I would be willing to support the testing as you said. May I know how this is done?

Will try to find some time to reply properly for this.  In the end, we can
improve the wiki-pages as well.

Cheers, Nikos

[0] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QuickBird
[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WorldView
[2] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IKONOS
[3]
<http://calval.cr.usgs.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2Krause1.pdf>,
<https://apollomapping.com/wp-content/user_uploads/2011/09/Radiance_Conversion_of_QuickBird_Data.pdf>

--
Nikos Alexandris | Remote Sensing Scientist, Dr
Themidos 3, 42100, Trikala, Greece