[GRASS-user] Announcing new command line interface of `grass` program in trunk

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Jun 4 00:53:15 PDT 2015

Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to announce new command line interface of the `grass` program [1,
> 2] available in trunk.

This sounds very exciting - and will make life much easier. Thanks a
lot.

It might be to early to ask, but are there any penalties is speed when
using this construct compared with the "traditional" way?

> Certainly you already know that you can start GRASS GIS session in the
> specified Location and Mapset in the following way:
>
> grass71 .../grassdata/location/mapset/
>
> The new interface adds `--exec` flag for specifying a command which will be
> executed inside that GRASS session:
>
> grass71 .../grassdata/location/mapset/ --exec r.univar map=elevation

Am I right in assuming, that the --exec effectively splits the command
into the "setup part" (mapset) before and the "command part" after and
whatever follows will be executed?

What happens when one specifies a shell command - I assume it will it also be
executed?

I guess that if this is working, the next step would be to introduce the
single command version so that one does not have to specify the mapset
each time. E.g:

,----
`----

,----
| grass71 --setmapset .../grassdata/test1/PERMANENT/
| grass71 --exec r.external input=basins.tiff output=basins
| grass71 --exec r.external input=elevation.tiff output=elevation
| grass71 --unsetmapset
`----

and finally introduce a mapper around this (similar to Rscript ore
littler) so that one could say

,----
| grass71exec setmapset .../grassdata/test1/PERMANENT/
| grass71exec r.external input=basins.tiff output=basins
| grass71exec r.external input=elevation.tiff output=elevation
| grass71exec unsetmapset
`----

and could use grass71exec as a shebang - that would be the ultimate
convenience.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer