[GRASS-user] Issue with netcdf import into GRASS 7

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:47:49 PDT 2015

All:

Using the help found here: http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/NetCDF I have
been able to import a netcdf file into GRASS 7, but the data is not scaled
correctly.

My file is found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Dmtz0DFEiubG5aYTk4TDZERXc/view?usp=sharing

I created a GRASS LOCATION based on this:

char Lambert;
  :grid_mapping_name = "lambert_conformal_conic";
  :latitude_of_projection_origin = 37.99999237060547; // double
  :longitude_of_central_meridian = -106.0; // double
  :standard_parallel = 34.0, 42.0; // double
  :earth_radius = 6371229.0; // double
  :_CoordinateTransformType = "Projection";
  :_CoordinateAxisTypes = "GeoX GeoY";

which I obtained using panoply from here:
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/

Looking at the file netcdf header information, it's clear the
dx=dy=1000m; but, what imports is x=dy=1m resolution even though I set
the x & y resolution to 1000m

This is my import command:

r.in.gdal input=NETCDF:"geo_em.d02.nc":GREENFRAC output=greenfrac -o
-e --overwrite

which produces..

Warning 1: No UNIDATA NC_GLOBAL:Conventions attribute
WARNING: Over-riding projection check
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.1> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.2> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.3> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.4> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.5> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.6> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.7> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.8> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.9> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.10> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.11> created.
 100%
Raster map <greenfrac.12> created.
Region for the current mapset updated
r.in.gdal complete.

I am virtually certain the lower left corner is placed correctly, because I
can zoom to the lower-left location and it falls about where it should --
however the spatial extent of the data is not what it should be, but when
zoomed-in looks correct.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Tom