[GRASS-user] installing GRASS7

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 06:18:15 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm not really experienced in that but since there is no other answer, I'll
try to answer anyway

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> I'm on Debian Jessie (stable), have not used GIS software before and
> want to learn GRASS so it makes sense to me to start with GRASS7
> rather than 6.4 (which is available in Debian).
>
> I tried without success the instructions to install GRASS7 from
> experimental here:
> https://wiki.debian.or <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental>
>
> IMO the most important advantage of LaTeX over Word is missing here. You
> might have forgotten it in your academic career but it's what matters the
> most to me. LaTeX makes you invest the time to get the layout right
> upfront. Word forces you to fix the layout in your last step.
>

> g/DebianExperimental <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental>
>
> I added this to sources.list:
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib
>
> Then:
> apt-get update
> apt-get -t experimental install grass-core grass-gui
>
> First it failed,

Failed with what message?

> so I installed grass from stable and now I can run this:
> $ grass --version
> GRASS GIS 6.4.4
> cat: /usr/lib/grass64/etc/license: No such file or directory

I suggest uninstalling all grass packages and starting over.

> So firstly, can someone tell me what that last line of output is (it
> looks very odd to coming out of a Debian package)?
>
> Now when I try:
> apt-get -t experimental install grass-core grass-gui
> I get the following output:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> grass-core is already the newest version.
> grass-gui is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
>
> Can anyone help here - I'd really like to start on GRASS7, if possible
> (on Debian stable - would that normally be a "backport" or an
> "update"?).
>

>From 6 to 7 is update. I don't think that that current Debian version will
switch from 6 to 7 if this is what you are asking.

If installation from packages does not work, you can always compile it. It
should be relatively simple:

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#GRASS_7_on_Debian_Jessie