[GRASS-user] v.net tools with polygons

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 3 00:35:12 PST 2015

On 02/03/15 21:39, Daniel Victoria wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm beginning to learn and use the v.net <http://v.net> tools in Grass
> in order to evaluate the distance from several crop fields to a
> processing plant.
>
> I've successfully build the road network with the end nodes but now I'm
> in doubt. My starting points in the analysis are crop fields, which are
> polygons. So what is the best (or most common) practice?
>
> 1) Use the field centroids as starting nodes?
> 2) Add field polygon boundaries to the network and run v.net.distance
> backwards (from mill to fields)?
> 3) Some other option?

I don't think that there is a best practice for this. It all depends on
your application and the desired outcome. Do you want average
time/distance from anywhere in the field to the plant ? Then probably
the centroid is ok. Or do you want distance from the point of the field
that is closest to the network ? Then you could get the coordinates of
that point through v.distance (with upload=to_x,to_y) and use these
points as nodes.

> Also, if I'm to add the field boundaries to the network, how would I go
> about it? Should I first v.patch the field with the roads layer and then
> run v.net <http://v.net>?

Adding field boundaries still does not answer the question of where to
put the start/stop point of your paths...

If you want to add them to the network then yes, patching would be the
best option, AFAIK.

Moritz