[GRASS-user] v.net tools with polygons

Mark Wynter mark at dimensionaledge.com
Tue Mar 3 13:18:03 PST 2015

Hi Daniel,

I've done something similar - I call it "off road routing", and uses a regular lattice of nodes and arcs. You can then constrain the off road "network" by closing arcs that cross major watercourses, fence lines or where the terrain or vegetation is non navigatable. For farms, I added paddock boundaries as rings, as well as gate nodes that constrain movement between paddocks. In essence you build a network topology that reflects the off-road aspect of your network.  Relevant to mining as well as agriculture.

> Ok Moritz,
>
> Thanks for the tips. I'll try to go the centroids way
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be
>> wrote:
>
>>> On 02/03/15 21:39, Daniel Victoria wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I'm beginning to learn and use the v.net <http://v.net> tools in Grass
>>> in order to evaluate the distance from several crop fields to a
>>> processing plant.
>>>
>>> I've successfully build the road network with the end nodes but now I'm
>>> in doubt. My starting points in the analysis are crop fields, which are
>>> polygons. So what is the best (or most common) practice?
>>>
>>> 1) Use the field centroids as starting nodes?
>>> 2) Add field polygon boundaries to the network and run v.net.distance
>>> backwards (from mill to fields)?