[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] QGIS GRASS Plugin Upgrade Crowdfunding

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:19:15 PDT 2015

Hi Radim,
this is a beautiful idea and i hope you will get plenty of funds.

I have some questions regarding the implementation, since this is not
mentioned in the project description:

Do you plan to implement the plugin in C++ only, or will you try to
combine C++ (data provider) and Python (all the rest)? The reason i am
asking is, that using Python for the user interaction, module calling,
vector editing and mapset/location handling would allow us GRASS
developer to provide possible improvements and bugfixes for the plugin
more easily. For example, the time series handling [1] in GRASS GIS is
mainly implemented in Python and provides a Python API that could be
used in the QGIS GRASS Plugin to implement time series analysis
support.
Using the QGIS Python plugin approach will reduce the need for
compilation, which allows much faster development of modifications and
bugfix testing.
The data provider and vector editing helper classes must be of course
implemented in C++ and should stay in the QGIS source tree.

Best regards
Soeren

[1] http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/~epebe_01/tgrass.pdf

Btw: Otto Dassau and i mentioned your crowd funding idea at the
FOSSGIS in Germany two weeks ago. It is on Youtube[2] but only in
German.

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmPbh2igmM&t=1407