[GRASS-user] Problem importing large GeoTiff

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:42:15 PDT 2015

All:

I have dowloaded a GeoTiff image file of global impervious surface area (%)
from http://ngdc.noaa.gov/eog/dmsp/download_global_isa.html:
2010 January-June GeoTiff image
<http://ngdc.noaa.gov/eog/data/isa/EstISA_final.tif.gz>

Using GRASS 7.0 on Ubuntu I'm actually able to import the file without
errors, but it will not display. On my Mac I can easily display the image
in Preview and I can drop the file into QGIS 2.4 and it also displays fine.

I have tried many different options importing the GeoTiff file, but it just
will not display. If I use r.info the E-W and N-S bounds are correct and
the N-S resolution looks right (0:00:30 deg), but the E-W resolution is
very small (0:00:00.000335 deg); also…

Rows: 16801
Columns: 43201
Total cells: 725820001