[GRASS-user] r.external -o

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun May 10 04:50:17 PDT 2015

Hi Radim,

Short answer: No.

I see that we should go through the documentation and check for working
with these flags. -o just overrides the projection consistency check and
uses Location's projection (overrides dataset projection). It is used when
definitions are the basically the same but there is some difference which
does not influence the result or when dataset projection is wrong and you
simply know that it matches the Location's projection.

In other words, there is no on-the-fly reprojection, not even with
r|v.external. However, when we consider recent addition to addons
r|v.in.proj (r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr but with reprojection), r.external with
on-the-fly projection would be nice addition too (although much more
complicated) but I think that from GRASS point of view the linked dataset
would have Location's projection (reprojection would be done inside
library).

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong,
Vaclav