[GRASS-user] Automatic extraction of valley

Rengifo Ortega rengifoo at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 12 06:27:03 PST 2015

Dear Jean,
If I understand you correctly what you are looking for is to make a  swath profile along curved geomorphic features e.g botton valleys. I think  that if  you want to this in  grass gis, it would be enough to  create a  mask using the the polygon you show in your picture and then extract that area using r.mapcalc. You also can use the geomorphons approach,  described by Vaclav, but you have to be careful with the parameters, since they will yield different results depending on your parameters.I would rather use gemorphons instead of r.param.scale, since it is scale independent.  If you want something more specific I suggest you to take a  look at this paper it might give some  ideas about the topic.
http://www.earth-surf-dynam.net/2/97/2014/esurf-2-97-2014.pdf

Best regards..

Rengifo Ortega